Sunday 20 April 2008

Edinburgh!

Well, Leith, actually - which is the port a mile
or two north of the city centre,
which serves Edinburgh.

On the first morning of our visit we walked
for about 5 miles along the 'Waters of Leith'
riverside pathway from our lovely
bed and breakfast home to the docks at Leith.


This is the old port, once a busy place,
but now mostly surrounded by modern apartment blocks.



This was once a grand hotel for seafaring folk,
now a grand bistro, bar and brasserie for (mainly) tourists.

I love the sculpture in front of the hotel,
and took several photographs of it,
but every shot had such a busy background
that you couldn't admire the sculpture
properly - if I ever go back, I'll get friends
to hold a bedsheet behind it while I get a proper picture!!!


An old sign for The Ship Inn - on the Shore at Leith - where
my husband had the best fish and chips he's ever eaten,
and I had some splendid moules mariniere and chips!


The final Leith photo - this bronze bench was
commissioned by his friends as a lasting memorial to
the man sitting upon it, after his death.
Much better than a gravestone,
and giving pleasure to many.

No comments: