Saturday 15 December 2007

A local journey

I had to travel about 25 miles east of Brecon for a meeting, and as it was a beautiful day, I thought I would stop the car and take a photo every 5 miles. The countryside in this area of Wales is not as dramatic as that of north Wales, but is beautiful in its own way.


This photo, 5 miles into the journey, was taken at the gates
of Peterstone Court (beautiful hotel with great restaurant!),
and shows the Brecon Beacons in the background.



A view of Bwlch, a small village between Brecon & Crickhowell.
All Welsh place names tell you something about their
location - 'bwlch' means 'gap' or 'pass'
nd the location of this village is in a pass between two valleys.



15 miles from home. A dead tree with a charm all of its own...



A second shot from the 15 mile point - the roadside trees and hedges prevented me from getting a good short of the surrounding countryside, so I looked up... and found a rookery.


20 miles from home. This is a view from the road leading up the hill from Abergavenny to Blaenavon - looking back at where I had travelled from - the mountain on the right is known as the 'Sugarloaf'.



At the top of the hill - Wales's own version of Ayers Rock!!!!
Actually a mountain of coal dust and spoil form a disused mine.
The wind and rain have carved it over the years.



I cheated - these last 2 shots were not 5 miles further along. They were taken at the same spot that the coal spoil heap was, I turned around and thought the views were too good not to show.


I often think about how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful country.
I hope you enjoyed sharing a small corner of it.


No comments: